Hi, I’m John. My core interests flow from these questions:
- What could the future contain? What should it?
- How can we get there? How should we?
- How can I help? How should I?
A lot of topics follow from these. A few of the big ones are:
- Economics and human behavior
I have a handful of core values which help me navigate these topics:
- Openness - I want to know what’s out there
- Optimism - it’s easier to find reasons to say no than yes
- Playful detachment - I love opinions, but I try to keep them out of my identity
- Preference for the unconventional - An uncommon idea is more useful, even if it is less likely
- Appreciation of inconsistency - I want to minimize friction that would hold me back from changing my mind
I’m a startup founder:
- I co-founded Cognito—an API for identity verification—in 2014.
- We sold Cognito to Plaid in 2022 for ~$250M.
- I’m particularly proud of how we ran Cognito. We only raised $2M and the company’s headcount was 18 people, including founders, at the time of acquisition.
I’m pretty active online and I like to share my work: